Central aim of organisation
Our goal is to improve the living conditions of visually impaired and blind people
Briefly describe your organisation
The Hilfsgemeinschaft (Austrian Associations supporting the Blind and Visually Impaired) is existing since 1935 as a secular, non-profit association without affiliations to a political party or group.
Our goal is to improve the living conditions of visually impaired and blind people. At present we provide support and guidance for about 4,200 members from all over Austria. Almost all Hilfsgemeinschaft activities are funded from private donations. Serious and transparent donations management is an overriding concern in our work. The Hilfsgemeinschaft has held the Donations Management Quality Seal since 2001. Our donors can be sure that we manage their donations precisely as they intended.
Membership is free for visually impaired and blind people, and enables them to access many services free of charge.
- Service delivery
• counselling in social and legal matters, care allowances, fees exemption
• library for the blind
• free Braille courses
• low-cost rental of CCTV (closed-circuit television)
• low-vision aids counselling
• in-depth conversations with psychological supervision, therapeutic art groups
• wide range of leisure activities (cultural, social and sports)
• lectures, excursions with sighted tutors, language courses etc.
• holidays and permanent accommodation in our barrier-free houses ‘Harmonie’ and ‘Waldpension’
- Elimination of Barriers
The main focus of our work is to eliminate existing barriers. We are presently working to improve barrier-free communication, barrier-free architecture and barrier-free tourism.
- Information & Education
Service & Usage
|- ICT Applications |
- Multimedia, Pattern Recognition
| - Visualisation |
- Systems- and Network Technology
- Internet Technologies
Assistive Technogy for Blind and Visually Impaired People