My organisation has been involved in projects funded by the following EU-programmes
The next generation Web should not be based on the false assumption that text is predominant [...] The Web is a multimedia environment, which makes for complex semantics. Tim Berners-Lee et al. A Framework for Web Science in: Foundations and Trends in Web Science, Vol. 1, No 1, 2006, pp. 1-130.
Innovation is at the core of our daily business. Playing with new technology and putting new ideas to work is our passion. We invest a lot of time and resources exploring new paths and developing ground breaking technology later materializing as features in our products.
Here is a very brief overview of research areas we are interested in and technologies we are playing with to build innovative and ground-breaking products for you.
The killer app of semantic technology and knowledge management in general is still intelligent search that understands the users query and the information. Semantic search is therefore one of our core interests. We are working with faceted search and filtering for unstructured sources; probabilistic, linguistic, and semantic query expansion; collaborative and social search and many more.
Semantic navigation and visualization of knowledge
Exploiting ontologies for the navigation of networks of information has the potential to fundamentally improve efficiency and user experience. Similary, there are completely novel and innovative ways of visualizing knowledge.
Semantic annotation of text and multimedia
The enrichment of data with semantic descriptions is another core objective of playence. We are playing with automatic and semi-automatic methods for the annotation of text, video, audio, and images. We apply video analysis, speech extraction, game-based mathods and many more to find innovation solutions for the knowledge acquisition bottleneck.
Linked Open Data
The Linked Open Data movement has gained a lot of momentum recently aiming at publishing datasets using RDF. We are looking into exploiting this vast amounts of linked data to enrich content and improve search.
• Katharina Siorpaes and Elena Simperl: Human Intelligence in the Process of Semantic Content Creation, World Wide Web Journal (WWW), Springer, December 2009. DOI: 10.1007/s11280-009-0078-0.
• Katharina Siorpaes and Martin Hepp: Games with a Purpose for the Semantic Web. IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 50-60, May/June 2008.
• Katharina Siorpaes and Martin Hepp: OntoGame: Weaving the Semantic Web by Online Gaming, Proceedings of the European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC) 2008, Springer LNCS, Tenerife, Spain, June 2008.
• Siorpaes, K., Lightweight Community-driven Ontology Evolution, accepted for the Doctoral Consortium at the 6th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2007) in Proceedings of the 6th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2007), Springer LNCS, Busan, Korea, November 11, 2007.
• Hepp, M., Siorpaes, K., and D. Bachlechner, Harvesting Wiki Consensus: Using Wikipedia Entries as Vocabulary for Knowledge Management, IEEE Internet Computing , Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 54-65 , Sept-Oct 2007.
• Van Damme, C., M. Hepp, and K. Siorpaes, FolksOntology: An Integrated Approach for Turning Folksonomies into Ontologies. Proceedings of the Workshop Bridging the Gap between Semantic Web and Web 2.0 at the ESWC 2007. LNCS Springer: Innsbruck, Austria, June 7, 2007.
• Hepp, M., D. Bachlechner, and K. Siorpaes. OntoWiki: Community-driven Ontology Engineering and Ontology Usage based on Wikis . Proceedings of the 2005 International Symposium on Wikis (WikiSym 2005) . 2005. San Diego, California, USA.
• Arroyo, S., Duke, A., López-Cobo, J. M. and Sicilia, M. A. (2007). A Model-driven Choreography Conceptual Framework. Computer Standards & Interfaces 29 (2007) 325–334.
• Arroyo, S., Sicilia, M. A. and Dodero, J. M. (2007). Choreography Frameworks for Business Integration: Addressing Heterogeneous Semantics. Computers in Industry. 2007. Computers in Industry 58 (2007) pp. 487–503.
• Arroyo, S. (2007). Ontology and Grammar of the SOPHIE Choreography Conceptual Framework - An ontological model for Knowledge Management. Journal of Universal Computer Science, vol. 13, no. 9 (2007), 1157-1183.
• Arroyo, S., Sicilia, M. A. and López-Cobo, J. M. (2007). Patterns of Message Interchange in Decoupled Hypermedia Systems. Journal of Networks and Computer Applications. Vol. 31 no. 2 (2008) pp. 75-92.
• Arroyo, S., López-Cobo, J. M and Sicilia, M.A. Architecture and Algorithms of the SOPHIE Choreography Framework. Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 2007.
• Sánchez-Alonso, S., Sicilia, M. A. López-Cobo, J. M. and Arroyo, S. (2007). Contract-Based Selection and Composition of Learning Objects. In Fernández-Manjón, B., Sánchez-Pérez, J.M., Gómez-Pulido, J.A., Vega-Rodríguez, M.A. and Bravo-Rodríguez, J. (Eds.) Computers and Education: E-learning, From Theory to Practice (pp. 179–191.)
• Sinuhe Arroyo and José Manuel López Cobo Describing web services with semantic metadata International Journal on Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies. Vol. 1, No. 1, pp.76–82. 2006.
• Sinuhe Arroyo Han Sung-Kook Dieter Fensel. Searching for Semantic Web Services - A Google-based Approach. Journal of Digital Information Management. Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 188-191. September 2005.
• Jos de Brujin, Ruben Lara, Sinuhe Arroyo, Juan Miguel Gomez, Sung-Kook Han and Dieter Fensel. A Unified Semantic Web Services Architecture based on WSMF and UPML International Journal on Web Engineering Technology. 2(2-3):148-180, 2005.
• Sinuhe Arroyo. A Semantic Service-based micro-learning framework - (Semantics for Microlearning*). Micromedia & e-Learning 2.0: Gaining the Big Picture. Proceedings of Microlearning Conference 2006, ISBN 3-901249-99-0. pp. 260-272. 2006.
• Sinuhe Arroyo and José Manuel López Cobo. SOPHIE – Architecture and Overall Algorithm of a Choreography Service, First Online Metadata and Semantics Research Conference (MTSR5), 30 November 2005.
• Sinuhe Arroyo, Han Sung Kook and Dieter Fensel. Searching for Semantic Web Services A Googlebased approach, The Second International Conference on Information Technology (ICIT05), Amman (Jordan), 5 May 2005.
• Sinuhe Arroyo, Ying Ding, Ruben Lara, Michael Stollberg and Dieter Fensel. Semantic Web Languages. Strengths and Weakness, International Conference in Applied computing (IADIS04), Lisbon (Portugal), 26 March 2004.
• Juan Manuel Dodero, Sinuhe Arroyo and Richard Benjamins. Dynamic Generation of Agent Communities from Distributed Production and Content driven Delivery of Knowledge, AAAI Spring Symposium on Agent Mediated Knowledge Management (AMKM03), Stanford University (USA), 26 March 2003.
• Sinuhe Arroyo and Juan Manuel Dodero. Dynamic Generation of User Communities with Participative Knowledge Production and Contentdriven Delivery, 4th International Conference on Practical Aspects of Knowledge Management, Viena, Austria, 2 Diciembre, 2002.
• Salvador Sánchez-Alonso, Daniel Rodriguez, Alberto Abián, Sinuhé Arroyo, Miguel Ángel Sicilia. On Integrating Semantic Learning Object Repositories in the Open Knowledge Initiative (OKI) Architecture. Interactive Computer Learning. ICL2008. September 24 -26, 2008 Villach, Austria.
• J.M. López-Cobo, S. Losada, O. Corcho, V.R. Benjamins, M. Niño, “A Customer Notification Agent for Financial Overdrawn using Semantic Web Services”, Engineering Knowledge in the Age of the Semantic Web. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management 2004, EKAW04. Whittlebury Hall, Northamptonshire, UK, October 2004. vol. 3257, pp. 371-385. ISBN 3-540-23340-7, ISSN 0302-9743
• José Manuel López-Cobo, Silvestre Losada, Oscar Corcho, Richard Benjamins, Marcos Niño, and Jesús Contreras, “SWS for financial overdraft alerts”. The Semantic Web – ISWC 2004. Third International Semantic Web Conference, Hiroshima, Japan, November 7-11, 2004. Proceedings In S.A. McIlraith et al. (Eds.): Springer Berlin / Heidelberg. ISWC 2004, LNCS 3298, pp. 782–796. ISBN 978-3-540-23798-3, ISSN 0302-9743 (Print) 1611-3349 (Online).
• J.M. López-Cobo, M.A.Sicilia, S. Arroyo, “Specifying Learning Object-Based Goals and Capabilities with WSMO”, Proceedings in Lora Aroyo, Darina Dicheva (Eds.) of the Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for E-learning workshop in the ISWC 2004: International Semantic Web Conference, Hiroshima, Japan, November 7-11, 2004.
• S. Arroyo and J.M. López Cobo, “Describing Web Services with Semantic metadata”, International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies 2006 - Vol. 1, No.1 pp. 76 – 82
• J.M. López-Cobo, A. López-Pérez, J. Scicluna, “A semantic choreography-driven Frequent Flyer Program”, In Future Research Challenges for Software and Services. April 2006, Viena.
• S. Arroyo, A. Duke, J.M. López Cobo and M.A. Sicilia, “A Model-driven Choreography Conceptual Framework”, Computer Standards & Interfaces. 29 (2007) pp. 325–334.
• Salvador Sánchez, Miguel-Angel Sicilia, José-Manuel López-Cobo, Sinuhé Arroyo, “Design by contract-based selection and composition of Learning Objects”, in B. Fernández-Manjón et al. (eds.), Computers and Education: Elearning, From Theory to Practice, 179–191, © 2007 Springer.
• S. Arroyo, M.A. Sicilia and J.M. López Cobo, “Patterns of Message Interchange in Decoupled Hypermedia Systems”, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 31, Issue 2, April 2008, Pages 75-92
• Laurent Cicurel, José Luís Bas, Sergio Bellido Gonzalez, Jesus Contreras, Richard Benjamins, Jose Manuel Lopez-Cobo, Silvestre Losada, “Using Semantic Web Services in eBanking solutions”, in Roberto García (eds) Semantic Web Methodologies for E-Business Applications: Ontologies, Processes and Management Practices, Idea Group Publishing, October 2008. pp. 336-352, ISBN: 978-1-60566-066-0.
• José-Manuel López-Cobo, Silvestre Losada, Laurent Cicurel, José Bas, Sergio Bellido, Richard Benjamins, “Ontology Management in eBanking applications”, in Ontology Management. Semantic Web, Semantic Web Services, and Business Applications. Series: Semantic Web and Beyond , Vol. 7. pp. 229-244.Hepp, M.; De Leenheer, P.; de Moor, A.; Sure, Y. (Eds.) 2008. ISBN: 978-0-387-69899-1
• Gennady Agre, Tomás Pariente, Zlatina Marinova, Hans-Joachim Nern, José-Manuel López-Cobo, “INFRAWEBS, A Framework for Semantic Service Engineering”, In At Your Service, Service-Oriented Computing from an EU Perspective. Edited by Elisabetta Di Nitto, Anne-Marie Sassen, Paolo Traverso and Arian Zwegers. Eds. MIT Press, June 2009, ISBN: 0-262-04253-3, 978-0-262-04253-6.
• Marta Poblet, Pompeu Casanovas, José-Manuel López-Cobo, “Linking the Semantic Web to ODR: the Ontomedia Project”, In LNDSS (Legal and Negotiation Decision support Systems) workshop, held jointly with ICAIL09 (International Conference on Artificial Inteliigence and Law). Barcelona, Spain, June 2009.
Inserted / Updated
2010-06-10 / 2010-06-10